Sunday, June 9, 2013

Rampage AVL- simulated watercolor technique

Here's a quick walkthrough of my coloring technique for my parody of the Rampage arcade game. Since I chose to do the line art digitally, the challenge became to color the piece in Photoshop in a way that simulated watercolor. Nothing beats the look of real paint on paper, but since the drawing was born on the computer I found this approach to be a worthy substitute.

Here we go...


1.) I painted several pages of watercolor paper with a wash of india ink and scanned them into my computer.



2.) Using Photoshop, I sliced up samples of the ink-wash scans and placed them in separate layers underneath my line work. It looks like an overly complex patchwork of values, but each subject of the illustration actually has its own unique texture and direction of brush marks.


3.) I switch the blending options on the ink layers to multiply and create a new layer for color underneath. The flat color from the Photoshop brush and the black and white ink wash combine to create a pretty nifty simulation of watercolor paint. 



2 comments:

  1. Jake:
    I'm a publisher who plans to release a book later this year (probably between August and October) that deserves LaGory illustrations. It's a fantasy novel that's a complete departure from the other books Pisgah Press has published in the past three years. (www.pisgahpress.com) I'd like to discuss with you at your convenience.

    A. D. Reed
    Editor in chief
    Pisgah Press

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: Brain-dead this afternoon, too. phone is 828-301-8968; email is adreed@charter.net.

    A. D. Reed

    ReplyDelete